BC Assessment has records that say the Dean Road building was built in 1901. In the late 1920s or early 30s it was renovated again: a stair case was added to access the attic, which was then used as a dormitory when the building was used as a boy’s school. At some point early on, it was home to the Reverend Dean who was the pastor of the church that used to be situated on the corner or the Fulford Ganges Rd and Dean Road.
According to the newspapers found in the walls, the next renovation occurred in the 1950s when part of the wraparound deck was used, to add a kitchen sink, counters, and extra bathroom.
Many shingles are original on the 3 sides least exposed to weather. The building has been repainted in its original colour, and the original windows remain on the main level.
The Wards lived in the house many years (exact time to be confirmed).
In 1999 the then owner of the house lifted the building and poured a new foundation, leaving space for a new ground floor.
Some minor renovations took place in between the renovations of 1920/30, 1950, and 1999. A small amount of insulation was added and electrical upgrades, while limited, were clearly undertaken on several occasions.
Further details of the history will be added as the information becomes available.